This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. I only recommend items I love and have had a positive experience with. Thank you!
*This post was first seen on Pressure Cooking Today, where I contribute.
There is nothing better than a smooth morning to start your day. I have found the perfect pressure cooker recipe for making mornings feel a bit more special with this 100% whole grain, protein rich Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake. It’s pretty enough to be called a cake, but healthy enough to call it breakfast!
As you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day but sometimes we can get tired of the same bacon and eggs every day. My kids’ birthday was coming up and I wanted to make them something special and I thought, how can I make a healthy pressure cooker breakfast that is perfectly acceptable for both breakfast and birthdays? That is how I came up with my Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake recipe!
So using my brand new 6 cup bundt pan, I whipped up an eggy, whole wheat batter, swirled in some berry compote and threw it in the pressure cooker. And it was ADORABLE! Just as pretty as any traditional birthday cake! To kick it up a notch, I mixed some yogurt with a bit of powdered sugar, drizzled it over the top, all fancy like, added candles, and I just knew this was gonna be a hit.
With all the cuteness to make it feel like an extraordinary day, plus healthy ingredients to make it a well balanced breakfast, this cake will be making frequent appearances in my home. I hope it will for you too!
Note: This cake can be cooked in a 7 inch springform pan as well, but the cook time will need to be increased to 40 minutes.
If you would like to mix things up, try substituting the berry compote with our Pressure Cooker Peach Compote. And of course, our personal preference is using pressure cooker Homemade Yogurt for the batter and drizzle.
Please CLICK HERE or on the button below to view, print, save or download Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake recipe.
Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
Sweet Yogurt Glaze
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp milk
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup berry compote
- sweet yogurt glaze
- Add blueberries, strawberries, lemon zest and maple syrup to the pressure cooker pot and stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to the sealed position.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Select saute and bring compote to a light boil.
- While whisking, pour in cornstarch mixture and whisk constantly until compote thickens.
- Store sealed in a container in the fridge.
Sweet Yogurt Glaze
- Whisk together the yogurt, vanilla extract, milk and powdered sugar; set aside.
- Generously grease a 6 cup bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the butter, ricotta cheese, yogurt and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine the dry and wet mixtures, then pour into the prepared bundt pan.
- Using 1/2 cup of the berry compote, drop by tablespoons on top of the batter and swirl in with a knife.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pressure cooker pot and place a trivet inside.
- Place bundt pan on top of trivet.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release know to sealed position.
- Cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When pressure cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove pan from pressure cooker. Allow to cook slightly.
- Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn over onto a plate.
- Drizzle with sweet yogurt glaze and serve warm.
Hope you get a chance to try this recipe! Thanks for reading!