This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. I only recommend items I love and have had a positive experience with. Thank you!
These mini Christmas stockings are ADORABLE!!! Let me show you how to sew a mini stocking for Christmas, including the FREE printable pattern and step by step instructions.
I have wanted to create these mini Christmas stockings for my family for a long time! I thought they would make the most adorable Christmas countdown idea, where I could fill them with something different every year.
Whipping up 25 of these stockings was such a fun way for me to spend an afternoon, but you can choose to sew 1 or 25 . . . however many you need for your purposes. Here are some ideas for you on how to use your mini Christmas stockings.
IDEAS FOR USING YOUR MINI STOCKINGS
- Neighbor and friend gifts, filled with goodies!
- Hang on your Christmas tree
- Hang on a ribbon or string as an adorable garland. Check out what Miss Mustard Seed has done!
- Use on a tablescape to hold the utensils
- Gift to a family with a new baby
- Perfect size for a pets stocking hanging on the mantel
- Teacher gifts filled with goodies!
- A gift for every new grand-baby that comes along
- Hang at random around the home for some sweet Christmas decor
WHAT FABRIC DO YOU USE FOR STOCKINGS?
You can certainly use any type of fabric that you can find! I have used my stash of pure 100% linen fabric, that I have bought from fabric-store.com.
I opted to go with a more neutral look with whites and browns. Some might find this boring and plain, but I love the idea of being able to accent them with any color of ribbon or decor at any time to suite my seasonal colors of choice.
Colorful holiday fabrics, quilting cotton or cozy flannel would also be such a fun choice for your outside pieces, or I’ve even seen people up-cycle vintage fabrics for a fun vibe.
I liked using linen because there is no right sides or wrong sides. I can cut them on the fold and not worry about directions. Your lining pieces can of course be anything you want, but I used the same fabric on the inside as the outside of the stocking pieces.
FYI – I used this beautiful velvet ribbon to hang my stockings!
HOW MANY YARDS OF FABRIC DO I NEED FOR A CHRISTMAS STOCKING?
If you are doing a full size stocking (like we sell in our TIDBITS & Company shop), I recommend having at least 3/4ths of a yard, if you are sewing the lining out of the same material.
You can get a lot more mini stockings out of that yardage! If you plan to make 1-5 mini’s, I recommend getting 1/4 of a yard of fabric.
HOW BIG IS A STANDARD SIZE OF A CHRISTMAS STOCKING? HOW BIG IS A MINI CHRISTMAS STOCKING?
To help you gauge the size difference of these stockings, an average size of a Christmas Stocking is around 18 inches long and 10 inches wide.
If you use my stocking template, you will end up with a mini stocking measuring 7.5 inches long and 6 inches wide (at it’s widest point).
WHAT CAN I PUT INTO MY STOCKINGS INSTEAD OF CANDY?
If you are hoping to avoid excess candy during the Holidays, here are some ideas I’ve had of what else you could fill your mini Christmas stockings with.
- Christ centered ornaments and countdowns
- An ornament for each day of December
- Christmas Countdown Conversation starters
- Pieces of a complete nativity
- Small toy packs or small gifts
- A kind letter
- A seasonal activity idea
MAKING THE MINI CHRISTMAS STOCKING PATTERN
You can free hand draw any stocking shape you want, or feel free to print out the free stocking pattern I am providing in this post. The link is down below.
I recommend printing it out on cardstock or thicker paper, or even tracing the pattern on a piece of cardboard and cutting that out. Having a thicker paper for your pattern piece will make it a lot easier to work with. Especially if you plan to make a lot of stockings.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A CHRISTMAS STOCKING WITH A LINING?
I have a printable PDF for the instructions as well! This will make it much easier to follow along and use less paper. You can even view the PDF download on a laptop or tablet near your sewing machine.
Some things to note about the free pattern, before you get going.
- You will need only basic sewing supplies, like scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, sewing machine, thread, pins or sewing clips, and your piece of fabric for the lining fabric and outside fabric.
- All seams are designated as a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- You’ll only be using a basic stitch.
- Because we have a lining, all raw edges will be encased inside the stocking and there will be no need for a serger.
- This pattern does not have a cuff fabric or anything at the top of the stocking, (besides the hanging loop). You can certainly add embellishments if you feel confident enough to do that. This is more of a minimalistic style of stocking . . . and I love it!
- Be sure to press your seams to get the most professional look!
- This is an excellent beginner Christmas stocking project. Get your kiddos involved to help you! They will learn a lot!
PRINT YOUR FREE CHRISTMAS STOCKING PATTERN HERE
All my free printables are housed in my TIDBITS SUBSCRIBER LIBRARY. Just sign up for my newsletter below and get instant access to this free stocking printable and all my fun printables!
WATCH MY VIDEO TO SEE THE ENTIRE SEWING PROCESS
I recored every step in video! If you learn better that way, go ahead and watch on YouTube.
Did you make these stockings? Be sure to share your creations with me on Instagram! Just tag me @camitidbits. I can’t wait to see! I would love your help sharing this post on Pinterest too! Thank you!